2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata
The new 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata gets a number of small changes that adds up to a sharper sports car than the outgoing model. The roadster gets a new powertrain that produces 17 percent more power than the version it replaces. All this while being more fuel efficient.
Now the Miata has never been about straight line speed, but more about near perfect balance. The small vehicle is best in the corners, but a little extra power never hurts.
For the 2019 model year the MX-5 Miata features a SKYACTIV-G 2.0-liter engine that has been tweaked by Mazda’s engineers. The result is that power has raised to 181 horsepower from 155 horses in the 2018 model year car. Torque raises to 151 lb.-ft. at 4,000 RPMs from 148 lb.-ft.
Lightweight construction helped the engine gain the additional power. To accomplish this, a number of changes were made including the below.
- Reducing internal mass and friction: Each piston has been reduced 27g in mass, thanks to a minimized skirt area. Connecting rods are 41g lighter than previous units.
- Reducing exhaust loss: The upgraded engine carries an increased valve opening angle and valve lift height. The inner diameter of the exhaust manifold has also been increased. The net results are a 30-percent reduction in pumping losses.
- Improved combustion: Reconfigured intake ports and new high-diffusion, higher-pressure fuel injectors improve the tumble and swirl of fuel in the cylinder and better-atomize fuel. The benefit is improved efficiency and torque at all rpm.
- Dual-mass flywheel: Replacing the single-mass flywheel with a low-inertia, dual-mass flywheel improves smoothness and responsiveness.
- A new exhaust system with richer sound quality.
- New final drive ratio: The transmission’s final drive ratio has been increased from 3.454 to 3.583 in order to improve linear response to match the driver’s intentions. Gear ratios are otherwise unchanged from previous models.
The MX-5 is now available with a new brown soft top and black metallic 17-inch wheels. The telescoping steering wheel is new and the doors are easier to open. It even gets new cup holders.
The Mazda sports car comes with a standard rearview camera. Other available safety features include Traffic Sign Recognition and Smart City Brake Support as well as the i-ACTIVSENSE safety technologies. Even with all of this only 7 lbs. of weight are added to the Miata.
The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata will be available in the US starting in the fall of 2018. Full specs, pricing and options will be announced closer to the release.