Each day we will ask you a performance and/or luxury car question. You submit your answers in the comments and then the next day we will follow it up with the answers that we thought stood out most.
Continue reading »
The Porsche 914 is One of Our Top 5 Sports Cars
When you think of a sports car, you normally think of a fast nimble car. Over the years a lot of great sports cars have been made, but some of the most popular performance cars just aren’t very fast.
Today, we are counting down the top 5 slowest sports cars. While those on our list are not all the very slowest of all time, they are the slowest sports cars that will still get you some admiring looks.
- Volkswagen Karmann Ghia: The classic styling of the Karmann Ghia gives it a very sporty look. It looks like a car that should be quick at least by ’60s standards. However, the Ghia has the same performance as the VW Type I (a.k.a. Bug)
- Delorean DMC-12: the Delorean DMC-12 is best known for its part in the movie Back to the Future. The sports car is heavy and pretty slow, but with its gullwing doors and sleek styling it looks fast. The car was so slow that it would take plenty of time to gun it to 88 mph, so the chances of traveling in time is pretty slim.
- Porsche 914: The 914 had the potential to be fast for its time. In fact in the 914-6 and even the 2.0-liter cars you got good performance. However, the straight line performance of the other variants wasn’t very good, although it was very nimble when taking corners.
- Ferrari Mondial: A Ferrari should be fast, but the Mondial was a slow sports car. It did feature the V8 engine from the 308, but in a heavier package. Still the styling is very good and everyone will just assume it is fast when they see you have a Ferrari.
- Porsche 924: The non-S, non-turbo and non-Carrera GT 924 was one of the slower cars made by Porsche. Its performance lacked mainly thanks to the Audi engine under the hood. Where the 924 did shine was in the corners with its near 50-50 weight distribution, you could take corners at very high speeds. Now getting to those speeds required a bit of work. Still it has a Porsche badge and will get you some attention at the gas station.